Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Addiction: The Writers' Campaign Challenge

Cheryl, from Beaverton Evening Writers, wrote about a challenge to write a piece of 200 word flash fiction on her blog. The original post is on Rachael Harrie's blog. And here's my attempt:

The door swung open.

“Come to Mama,” she moaned. “I need more of your sweet, creamy satisfaction. Melt in my mouth, lover.”

He was silent, but I heard, “I’ve got what you need. Don’t I always take care of you?” So smooth.

When would I ever learn? She told me she would stop: yesterday, last week, for my birthday. But it was always the same. A day went by and she’d have to have it. Problems at work and she couldn’t get enough. A long commute and she’d stop on the corner to score.

Twain said giving up smoking was the easiest thing he ever did: he did it a thousand of times. She made him out to be an amateur.

I’ve tried to get her help: twelve step programs, rehab clinics, even threatened and cajoled. It’s been useless: useless as a critic without an audience.

“It’s me or him.” My voice was strong, but my eyes were weak. “Choose. Now.”

“What’s your problem? I can handle it.” She laughed. At me. “It’s not like I’ve got a real problem!”

He said nothing. What a cad; bury him I will. Someday.

I turned and walked away.

The door swung shut.
Word count courtesy of Microsoft Word 2002 SP3 -- take it up with Uncle Bill if you count other than 200 words.

6 comments:

  1. I loved the "useless as a critic without an audience" bit ... it re-inforces the futility of threatening/begging/scolding/promising ... the decision has to come from the addict !
    A good write ! My entry is no.#59

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this - I kept waiting for a twist, like the addiction was chocolate, or Bailey's or...something.

    Strong writing, and great dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I know exactly how she feels, or I used to - been over 5 years. It's a good take on the person who's trying to get a loved one to stop too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an effective piece of writing, and very true. Addictions can be like affairs. Loved the way you described it, Thomas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depressing but good. Nice job. Mine is #72

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your sentence structure and sense of voice. "... bury him I will. Someday."

    ReplyDelete